Any help on Fail-Safe?

Discuss IOM design, building an IOM, information on suppliers, tuning an IOM, results of recent events, etc

Moderator: Pedro Egea

JohnM

Any help on Fail-Safe?

Post by JohnM » 13 Jan 2005, 20:23

Any help on Fail-Safe?

Does anyone use FAIL-Safe facility (as a separate device or programmed on digital servo) in IOM boats?
If so what is the best position for sails and rudder?

Regards
JohnM

Nigel

Post by Nigel » 13 Jan 2005, 22:30

I have used it via my Futaba radio system. I set the sheets to a middle position and the rudder to medium turn so it just goes round in circles.

An IOM can be really fast if you have to row after it :roll:
Nigel Winkley
GER 87

JohnM

Post by JohnM » 14 Jan 2005, 17:09

Hey Nagel
Good to see you again
The main problem here is that not everyone has digital servos or computer transmitters. So in that case we may have a little separate device.
I have a computer transmitter and digital servos - Now I have some little problems setting up sail servo Hitec HSR -5995TG » it cannot be pre-tuned with Hitec HFP-10 Servo Programmer yet.
If we are in a race, and we have lost signal - we must shout for this so the other racers now we are out of control - and they have to act by that.
Here everything OK even if some of our friends lost their relative places cause of this.
But do you think that middle position for sails and medium rudder is the best choice?
I will set rudder to trunk so this will affect less area and set sails to totally of
What do you think of this?
Do you think IOMICA has something to say? Even an opinion?
Best regards to you
JohnM